Thursday, October 15, 2009

Heaven or Hell?


Current mood: creative

I lay on the beach with a cocktail in my hand. There is warm sunshine, the heavy scent of coconut suntan lotion, mixed with the saltiness of the ocean. A drop of sweat lazily slides down between my full cleavage into my bellybutton. I lift my too-warm, umbrella-ed, fruity drink to my lips. I can feel the sweet liquid as it burns through my throat, sliding down, with a warm sensation, into my stomach. A seagull squawks somewhere in the distance. The sky is an irradescent blue, the kind of blue that is so bright, that it hurts your eyes to look at it. Soft, wispy clouds roll gracefully through the blue forever and I am struck at the beauty of everything. For a moment, I get a tightness in my throat, overwhelmed at it all. Overwhelmed at how lucky I seem to be, yet how utterly alone I feel. I am not sure how I got here. Literally.

Two days ago, I awoke in a penthouse of a very expensive-looking five star hotel, alone and confused, with no memory.

I remember opening my eyes, immediately furrowing my brow in response to the enormous headache that caused my gut to lurch in a nauseating fashion. Lifting my hand to the side of my head, I became aware of the huge hill that was growing there. Tender to the touch, the area around the bump was encrusted with what appeared to be blood. Wincing in pain, I tried to sit up. Again, nausea overtook my body and I heaved violently over the side of the bed. Nothing came, as it seemed that my stomach had been empty for some time. I wondered how long I had been out and where the hell I was.

Moving cautiously from the edge of the huge four post bed, I stumbled clumsily through the room toward what appeared to be the bathroom. Making the transition from the soft, cushioned carpet to the cool, marbled floor caused me to lose my balance slightly and I held on to the wall. Seeing the light switch, I flipped it up. Nothing. I guess that the lightbulb must have been out. Since it appeared to be some time during the day, there was enough light to see fairly adequately and I made my way to the sink, sliding my hand along the wall for support. The wallpaper is a silky expensive pale green color, with thick gold stripes running vertically up and down, making me dizzy as I looked at them. The bathroom smells of exquisite soaps and shampoos, of cleanliness and luxury. As I came to the gold bowl-like sink, the mirror came into view and I realized that not only did I not remember how I got to where I was, but I also did not remember what I looked like, nevermind, what my name was.

I stared at my reflection, looking utterly confused, at the complete stranger looking back at me. Dark hair, almost black in color, frames my oval face. Pale green eyes stared hauntingly back, framed by short, but very thick lashes. Smeared mascara makes it look like I have dark circles under my eyes, darker than they already are. My nose is long and elegant looking, like that of a Native princess. My lips appear to be cute and pouty, but the swollen, bruised, and broken skin at the corner distorts how they must naturally look. I have what appears to be a perfectly circular beauty mark above my upper lip, so perfect looking that it looks as if it had been carefully drawn on. Just to make sure that it is real, I gently touched my fingers to it and made a single downward wiping motion with my index finger, almost surprised to find it still there as my finger came away.

I looked in the mirror at the reflection of my finger, my hands. Looking down at them, palms down, I observed them inquisitively. Small hands with chipped red nail polish on short, groomed nails. One single gold ring, what looks like a wedding band, on my left ring finger.

Am I married? I thought, alarmed. If so, where is my mate? Alarm, panic, crept in as my heart sped up; did I have children? The thought of a small child roaming around helplessly, somewhere, looking for me, his mother, shook me painfully to the core.

As if something took over me, I pushed aside the nausea and dizziness and sped out of the bathroom toward the balcony. Pulling desperately at the gold handles, I yanked the double glass doors open and reached the edge of the balcony, almost going over. Scrunching my eyelids down, I tried to will my pale eyes to adjust to the bright light more quickly and as if listening, my pupils constricted quickly. What I saw took my breath away...

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment